February 5, 2008

Introduction to this Blog

This is my first article in my first attempt at a blog. I am a retired airline regulatory lawyer with a lingering interest in my old line of work. I hope to use this blog to highlight some of the more egregious regulatory activities. I will not limit myself to the federal government, but will also try to include state and local activities.I am a firm believer in the law of unintended consequences, and will hope to analyze regulatory proposals or decisions in its lights. However, I will not limit myself to critical analysis of proposed regulations -- that would be too boring.

The dictionary definition of "Follies" is as follows:

  1. A lack of good sense, understanding, or foresight.
    1. An act or instance of foolishness: regretted the follies of his youth.
    2. A costly undertaking having an absurd or ruinous outcome.
    3. Perilously or criminally foolish action.
    4. Evil; wickedness.
    5. Lewdness; lasciviousness.
  2. follies (used with a sing. or pl. verb) An elaborate theatrical revue consisting of music, dance, and skits.
    1. Obsolete
      1. Perilously or criminally foolish action.
      2. Evil; wickedness.
      3. Lewdness; lasciviousness.

While the definition will give me ample opportunity to discuss crazy regulations, I may also just watch the passing parade and comment on regulatory development at various agencies. I don't know where this blog will take me, but it should be an interesting journey.

No comments: